The Illinois Association of Historic Preservation Commissions (IAHPC) is pleased to open the nomination period for the 2017 Illinois Commission Excellence Awards. These awards are intended to highlight best practices and exceptional accomplishments by commissions and individuals at the local level, for both large and small communities. Commission and individual award recipients will have shown high achievement and/or innovation in promoting and protecting local historic resources through innovative policy, effective procedures, education or advocacy.
Commissions or Individuals may be nominated under the following categories:
- Public Outreach and Education
- Protection and Designation
- Survey and Inventory
- Leadership (Commission Chair or Staff)
To nominate an individual or commission, please provide the following information:
A concise narrative (maximum 4,000 words) that describes the significant contribution made by the Commission or Individual as follows:
- Include an overview of the project or accomplishments and the role the Commission or Individual played in terms of its organization, content, goals and implementation and its impact on a local historic preservation program
- Include any challenges that were overcome to reach the project goals
- Include any unique strategies or activities undertaken by the Commission or Individual
- Include the impact of these activities on the local community
- Include the ability of the project to serve as a model for others
Include nomination narrative and scanned documents or links to materials produced, newspaper articles, support letters and relevant photographs. Nominations will be accepted via email or on the IAHPC website at www.IllinoisHPC.org.
(Please note: we would ask that you make an effort to provide nomination materials in reduced digital size for ease of transmission and storage.)
A selection committee appointed by the IAHPC Board of Directors will review the nominations and select recipients. Nomination material must be received no later than September 30, 2017.
Please feel free to look at our previous award winners here.